Introducing Our New Student Grant Program
GUNN PTSA LOVES STUDENTS! LET US HELP FUND GREAT IDEAS!
During this unprecedented year, we have admired the resilience, creativity, adaptability, patience, understanding and tech skills of our students. We have loved when our students rose to challenges, figured out how to care for others, and knew when to take care of themselves. And we want to help.
Gunn PTSA has always supported many student events and activities. Our Staff Grants also pay for classroom and school-wide programs that support students in creative and engaging ways. We know students have amazing ideas, too! So PTSA will award Student Grants to bring your school-wide projects to life.
Gunn PTSA has always supported many student events and activities. Our Staff Grants also pay for classroom and school-wide programs that support students in creative and engaging ways. We know Gunn students have amazing ideas, too! So PTSA is awarding Grants to bring student-generated school-wide projects to life. PTSA is looking to fund student-led projects that promote growth and learning. Gunn students may apply for a PTSA GRANT by March 12.
On Campus Instruction See the updated PAUSD proposal for 7th-12th grade
Recording and Notes from the January 25 and February 9 Principal’s Chats are housed on UpToUs. Please click here to view how to access these.
Here is the link to Parent Meeting held by the Gunn Counseling Department and Wellness on dealing with stress and setting good online learning habits, held right before winter break.
Parent Nights with Gunn Counseling: The counseling department will be hosting Spring parent information nights later this semester: 11th grade parents in late February (which will include information on the college admissions process), 12th grade in early March, and 9th and 10th grade parents in April/May. Exact dates will be announced as the events approach — Stay tuned! https://gunn.pausd.org/campus-life/counseling
Course Selection for the 2021-2022 School Year: https://www.smore.com/b4vrq
Synchronous Mondays: At this time, Gunn will continue with our synchronous 7-period Monday schedule. Grade Reports First semester grades were available January 12th, mailed home to parents/guardians, and may be viewed on Infinite Campus (IC). If you have questions about any of your student’s grades, please contact their teacher directly. For information about the Infinite Campus system, please visit the PAUSD help page.
English Books: Semester 1 books may be returned beginning January 19th. There’s no need to make a special trip for returns before then. Semester 2 books – many English book check-outs will begin during the week of 1/19/21 (afternoons). More details to come. Teachers will communicate book titles and timing in their classes. Contact Ms. Glover with questions: firstname.lastname@example.org
Weighted Grades: In answer to recent inquiries, here is more specific information from the counseling department about weighted grading practices at Gunn.
- Gunn provides a weighted grade (which is listed on the transcript alongside the unweighted GPA) for all Honors and AP level courses taken 10-12th grades, but not for any classes taken during 9th grade. Weighting of these honors and AP courses is factored into the overall GPA calculation on a 5 point scale, unlike our other classes which are factored into the GPA calculation on a 4 point scale. In this way, honors and AP classes get an extra point of “weight”.
- How Gunn calculates its weighted GPA is different than how the UCs calculate their weighted GPA, or how other schools choose to calculate GPAs for their admissions purposes.There is not a single standard. (For more information see Gunn PTSA’s College Resources and Information webpage.)
- The Counseling Department recommends families look at Naviance, which has historical charts (“Scattergrams”) showing the unweighted GPAs of Gunn students who were admitted into various colleges over the last 6 years. These charts can give students some insights in to determining if they are in the “ballpark” for consideration at various schools, but the Gunn counseling department urges families not to place too much weight on these numbers as there is a lot of variation from year to year, and colleges take many other factors besides GPA into consideration.
PSAT/SAT Update: Due to the constantly changing health order restrictions, the administration of the PSAT at Gunn will not be occurring this school year. Please see Alternate Entry to the 2020 National Merit Scholarship Program. Gunn is looking forward to hosting the SAT for all Gunn Juniors in April of 2021, and hopeful that there will be fewer restrictions at that time, and that Juniors can come on campus for this test. Mr. Newland is arranging for all juniors to be able to take it free. Additional info is forthcoming from him. Please be aware that in-seat testing is subject to public health regulations. We will send additional information to the Class of 2022 as it available.
College Board Announcement: “The pandemic accelerated a process already underway at the College Board to reduce and simplify demands on students.”
- SAT Subject Tests have been discontinued.
- Optional SAT Essay has been discontinued.
- A more flexible SAT— a streamlined, digitally delivered test — is being investigated.
College admissions practices will continue to evolve, and Gunn counselors will continue to convey the relevant information through Titan Talk (sent via email to the parent community on Sundays), meetings, and assemblies.
Summer School PAUSD Summer School planning is underway. There will be more courses offered this summer beyond credit recovery. Registration will be online through the district website PAUSD.org. Registration for credit recovery will be for students who have taken the class already and school counselors will register students for credit recovery classes. Economics and Living Skills will be offered to seniors only. The district is hoping to offer in-person instruction in place of UC Scout. Please plan ahead for the following sessions.
- Session 1 (June 14-July 2)
- Session 2 (July 6-July 23)