The Gunn High School Parent Facebook Community is a group for parents, caregivers and educators of students currently attending Gunn High School in Palo Alto, CA. Our goal is to foster connection and communication among Gunn parents and the Gunn school community by sharing information and tips, updating the community on events and programs, and showcasing the achievements of students, teachers, parents, and other Gunn community members. We provide a forum for Gunn parents to exchange useful, trusted information and resources. Posts must be respectful, truthful, discreet, responsible, noncommercial, nonsectarian, and nonpartisan.
- Use language appropriate for a caring and respectful community.
- Ask questions, respond and share information.
- Highlight our community’s accomplishments and supporters.
- Post articles about education and our community.
- Post information about opportunities for students.
- Constructively raise issues for discussion, and share ideas for PTSA activities or goals.
- Keep discussions positive and focused on our school community.
- Remember that your posts are visible to all members of the group, which may also include teachers and staff. [The group is private, however, so no Facebook users outside the group can see posts by group members.]
- Do not engage in cyberbullying of any kind, including insulting, targeting, or excluding any individuals, including but not limited to school board officials, school administrators, teachers, PTSA members, students, parents, or other individuals affiliated with or connected to the school.
- Do not put down individuals or other organizations.
- Do not discriminate in any way.
- Do not post about concerns, problems, or conflicts with individual teachers, administrators, students, or parents.
- Do not make any inflammatory statements or allegations against individuals or organizations. Threats of physical or verbal abuse will be reported to the authorities, and the offender may be removed or blocked from the group.
- Do not post confidential information, such as student grades, disciplinary proceedings, health conditions*, personal, family, or Gunn staff/administration matters, or anything else that would generally be considered personal or private.
- Do not post school location information that could pose a risk to students.
- Do not advertise goods or services**, though you may thank partners and contributors.
- Do not publish content as your own that has been created by others.
- Do not post pictures that other parents have taken without their express permission.
*For post about mental health, we follow the guidelines of the Suicide Awareness Voices of Education (SAVE).
**While we will not approve standalone posts that promote or publicize goods or services such as tutors, counselors, after-school and summer opportunities, we will permit community members to REPLY to REQUESTS for these resources.
The PTSA Board and PTSA Facebook Moderators reserve the right to delete comments and remove or block users who do not follow the guidelines stated above. The determination of objectionable content is at the sole discretion of the PTSA Board and the PTSA Facebook Moderators.
We encourage parents to use platforms other than Facebook as follows:
- For discussions about sensitive or controversial topics, we encourage parents to set up face-to-face meetings.
- For concerns about your teacher, contact your teacher or your teacher’s instructional supervisor.
- For concerns about PAUSD policy, contact the superintendent through Let’s Talk PAUSD, or the Palo Alto School Board.
As a reminder, the overall purpose of PTA Communications, according to the CA PTA, is to:
- Connect families and schools.
- Encourage parent participation.
- Market the value and accomplishments of PTA.
- Promote joining PTA.