School will be closed from March 16-April 10. Stay healthy and stay tuned for more details!
Note to parents: Be sure to read the Superintendent’s Update Regarding Coronavirus dated March 9, 2020. Things are changing by the day. The district will make every attempt to keep you informed and updated here.
Reminders for parents:
- Volunteer parents & visitors will not be permitted on school grounds during the school day (see exceptions below). Should any parent have a question regarding whether or not they can participate in an activity, please contact Gunn administration.
- If families travel to any affected international locations over the upcoming spring break, they will be subject to the quarantine guidelines and any new guidelines that may be implemented.
Specific FAQs regarding Gunn’s updated policies/guidelines:
- YCS Service Days: Both Service Days – Thurs 3/12 and Fri 3/13 – are cancelled.
- Events over 100 people: These will be decided on a case by case basis.
- Parents on campus:
- Parents can come onto campus for SST, 504 and IEP meetings.
- Parents coming to campus for PTSA meetings need to cancel, postpone, meet off campus, or meet by phone/video.
- For indoor events the limit is 100 spectators.
- For outdoor events (track and field, swimming), no limit on spectators but there needs to be distance between people.
- Attendance/Absence Policy:
- The current policy is that parents need to send in written notification that they are voluntarily pulling their student out of school due to concerns regarding the coronavirus. The note needs to include the specific dates their child will be out of school and it cannot exceed 10 days. If the parent wants to keep the child out longer than 10 days, they will need to send in another notification. Upon receipt of the note, the Attendance Office will mark the absence AD (Administrative Discretion). It is an excused absence.
- We are not providing online learning for students who are not at school.
- Senior Events: Currently all end-of year senior activities are ON. We will let you know if that changes.
- Prom: Prom is postponed (final decision pending).
- AP tests will continue as usual.
- CAASPP and CAST tests are postponed (final decision pending).
- PTSA Events and Meetings:
- PTSA meetings need to be canceled, postponed, or meet off campus or by phone/video.
- International Week Food Tastings are cancelled.
- Staff Volunteer/Appreciation:
- Staff appreciation is pending.
Fri, Mar 13 during lunch in front of the guidance building
Come and meet local businesses who are interested in recruiting your child to be their next employee! For more information, please contact Rachael Kaci, the PAUSD work experience teacher, at firstname.lastname@example.org
ROCK (Reach Out Care Know) will host Gunn’s Third Annual Mental Health Walk. The walk, Reaching Out Saves Lives, is a community event to wrap up Gunn’s Mental Health Week. The walk is a 5k from Gunn’s track to Bol Park and back again. The track will have tables that feature different mental health organizations from around the community.
- Sponsors are needed to make this event possible!
- In-kind donations (i.e., food and drinks, t-shirts, entertainment, signage) and monetary donations (Companies, Organizations, and Individuals) are greatly appreciated.
- If you would like to donate, you can do so here under the ROCK button.
- Register for the walk here.
If you have any questions, please contact Kate Williams, Co-VP of ROCK.
Gunn Parents and Students are invited to a WASC Info Night on Monday Feb 10, 6:15-7:15pm, in the Gunn Staff Lounge. Come and learn about how you can help shape the future of our school! The WASC Accreditation process will determine important aspects of Gunn’s direction in the coming years, and parents and students are a critical part of that process. The meeting will be co-sponsored by the Gunn Site Council.
Parents are invited and encouraged to join a WASC Focus Group. You’ll work in mixed groups with school staff and students to help analyze data about various aspects of the school, and will have the opportunity to give substantive input about what we’re doing well, and what we should be working to improve. We use the process to set our goals for the next six years, and your participation is both valued and critically important! The time commitment is about 6-10 hours total, spread across 7-8 meetings (see above for meeting dates/times). If you’d like to volunteer, please fill out the form in the most recent Gunn Connection Enews, or contact the WASC Coordinator, Tara Firenzi, at email@example.com.
Focus Group Meeting Dates:
Thu, Feb 13 (morning)
Mondays, Mar 16, 23, Apr 27, 2:45-3:45pm
Fall 2020, one meeting TBD
2-3 “home group” meetings TBD