Summer School 2021 Registration
- Registration will be open from March 1 – April 1 for all classes.
- Living Skills is limited to rising seniors and is a separate registration. Please use this link for Living Skills Registration.
- Economics will be offered through UC Scout, and is also a separate registration. Please use this link to register.
- Kick-start Course Catalog (more classes added on 3/8)
Career Development for your Child (CCE) – Parent Informational Meeting
Friday, March 12th, 9:00-10:00 AM Via Zoom. Dr. Jeong Choe & Rachael Kaci of the CCE Team will provide parents with information about the Career Month events, Gunn and Paly’s Summer Internship and Work Study programs, and how to start planning for summer internship/job opportunities.
Introducing Our New Student Grant Program
Gunn students may apply for a PTSA GRANT by March 12. Gunn PTSA has always supported many student events and activities. Our Staff Grants also pay for classroom and school-wide programs that support students in creative and engaging ways. We know Gunn students have amazing ideas, too! So PTSA is awarding Grants to bring student-generated school-wide projects to life. PTSA is looking to fund student-led projects that promote growth and learning.
Gunn PTSA Titan Staff Grants: Opening of Round 3
Applications will be accepted until Monday, March 15, 2021 for Round 3 of funding for equipment and/or supplies that will help staff re-open classrooms and teach students in person and remotely. The PTSA will notify applicants as soon as possible of decisions. Apply now. Grants are available for up to $2000 per request; larger amounts may be considered.
Parent Ed Event
Scott Fried – Parenting for Beyond the Pandemic 7:00 pm Tuesday March 16
PAUSD Career Month
Begins Friday, March 19 More information here.
On Campus Instruction
See the updated PAUSD proposal for 7th-12th grade
Recording and Notes
See the recording and notes from our various PTSA events and Principal’s Chats. These are all housed on UpToUs. Please click here to view how to access these.
Parent Nights with Gunn Counseling
- Upcoming Parent Nights and Link for more info:
At this time, Gunn will continue with our synchronous 7-period Monday schedule. Grade Reports First semester grades were available January 12th, mailed home to parents/guardians, and may be viewed on Infinite Campus (IC). If you have questions about any of your student’s grades, please contact their teacher directly. For information about the Infinite Campus system, please visit the PAUSD help page.
In answer to recent inquiries, here is more specific information from the counseling department about weighted grading practices at Gunn.
- Gunn provides a weighted grade (which is listed on the transcript alongside the unweighted GPA) for all Honors and AP level courses taken 10-12th grades, but not for any classes taken during 9th grade. Weighting of these honors and AP courses is factored into the overall GPA calculation on a 5 point scale, unlike our other classes which are factored into the GPA calculation on a 4 point scale. In this way, honors and AP classes get an extra point of “weight”.
- How Gunn calculates its weighted GPA is different than how the UCs calculate their weighted GPA, or how other schools choose to calculate GPAs for their admissions purposes.There is not a single standard. (For more information see Gunn PTSA’s College Resources and Information webpage.)
- The Counseling Department recommends families look at Naviance, which has historical charts (“Scattergrams”) showing the unweighted GPAs of Gunn students who were admitted into various colleges over the last 6 years. These charts can give students some insights in to determining if they are in the “ballpark” for consideration at various schools, but the Gunn counseling department urges families not to place too much weight on these numbers as there is a lot of variation from year to year, and colleges take many other factors besides GPA into consideration.
College Board Announcement
“The pandemic accelerated a process already underway at the College Board to reduce and simplify demands on students.”
- SAT Subject Tests have been discontinued.
- Optional SAT Essay has been discontinued.
- A more flexible SAT— a streamlined, digitally delivered test — is being investigated.
College admissions practices will continue to evolve, and Gunn counselors will continue to convey the relevant information through Titan Talk (sent via email to the parent community on Sundays), meetings, and assemblies.